(Senior) Scientist Computer-Aided Drug Design (CADD)
Confo Therapeutics, a spin-off of VIB and VUB, is a drug discovery company built around a disruptive technology which enables it to address ‘undruggable’ GPCRs. Confo’s unique technology makes use of antibody fragments or “ConfoBodies” to stabilize G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs) in a specific conformation of interest. This conformation acts as a superior starting point for protein structure determination. Recently, Confo secured an exclusive license to the MegaBody technology. MegaBodies enable the production of high resolution cryo-EM structures of membrane proteins, overcoming current protein size limitations and potential preferential orientation issues in the study of GPCRs via cryo-EM. Leveraging this platform, the company is building a portfolio of transformative medicines in various disease areas.
Confo Therapeutics is located on the Zwijnaarde Technology Park in Ghent and on the VUB campus in Brussels. More information about Confo’s technology and strategy can be found at www.confotherapeutics.com.
For the expansion of our drug discovery teams in Ghent and Brussels we are currently looking for (m/f):
(Senior) Scientist CADD
The Computer-Aided Drug Design group of Confo Therapeutics is seeking a motivated computational scientist who will apply state-of-the-art structure-based, ligand-based and cheminformatics approaches to successfully drive small-molecule drug discovery projects, from target identification through to candidate selection.
You will be an integral member of interdisciplinary drug discovery project teams, and tailor CADD solutions and resources to arising project needs and portfolio priorities. You will join a creative and dynamic CADD team and have the opportunity to champion innovative computational approaches to evolve the frontiers of our leading-edge infrastructure. This is a tremendous opportunity to do meaningful work in an innovative and exciting environment.
The successful candidate will:
- Apply structure-based, ligand-based, cheminformatics and machine learning methods to support target tractability assessments and to drive therapeutic projects from hit identification through to candidate selection.
- Work collaboratively in drug discovery project teams with representatives from medicinal chemistry, biology, structural biology, screening, informatics etc. to design compounds with improved potency, off-target profile, ADMET properties and safety profiles.
- Judiciously apply computational techniques such as conformational analysis, ligand/receptor docking, SAR analysis, pharmacophore modeling, diversity/similarity analysis, high-throughput virtual screening, QSAR modelling/machine learning, homology modeling, molecular dynamics, and advanced data analytics to deliver solutions in line with project needs, timelines and priorities.
- Generate and build computational models to help direct synthetic strategies, idea generation and prioritization. Furthermore, use leading computational techniques to elucidate protein-ligand interactions and, based on your insights, design improved small molecules.
- Champion, develop and implement state-of-the-art computational solutions to enhance our drug discovery capabilities.
- Collaborate effectively with internal and external partners to deliver on project milestones.
- Effectively communicate work both internally and externally, ensuring clear delivery of recommendations.
- A Ph.D. in computational chemistry, chemistry, computer science, biophysics, or related discipline.
- Have 3 years’ + post-graduate experience applying various computational tools to drug discovery projects in the pharmaceutical industry, or a drug discovery institute.
- Be skilled in applying state-of-the-art structure-based and ligand-based drug design methods and tools.
- Knowledge of biomolecular interactions that drive protein-ligand binding events.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and an ability to work collaboratively in teams (using English as the working language).
- A solid record of accomplishment in his/her field as evidenced by lead or co-authored publications or patents.
- Demonstrated impact on small molecule drug discovery programs.
- Experience applying cheminformatics and/or machine learning technologies to drug discovery challenges.
- Experience with one or more of the standard computational chemistry softwares from companies such as Schrödinger, Cresset, Knime or Dotmatics.
- Ability to script work flows and implement new algorithms.
- A strong foundation in organic chemistry or physical chemistry is desirable.
- Industry or academic experience modelling membrane protein targets is advantageous.
- Experience with programming languages that are used in scientific applications is a plus.
A competitive compensation package with extensive benefits.
An entrepreneurial and stimulating working environment in a growing and ambitious biotech company.
Excellent career development opportunity, with exposure to all aspects of R&D in the company, with external collaborators and partners.
Do you have the right qualifications and are you up to the challenge of joining our entrepreneurial team? Then forward a short motivation letter and
your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org